The Phillipine is on breaking news this week following the Ketsana typhoon that caused major flood in Manila. Information from Indonesian friend working there is the food is running out! So hopefully the situation get better as soon as possible.
On chess news,the Phillipino, GM Wesley So finished his first tourney in US, not very much successful with =8 and -1 out of 9. Wesley So is probably the main attraction to the tournament (at least from what I read in chessgames, chessdom, and susanpolgar's blog). The Group A, is a six players round robin, proved to be a tight competition and producing a high number of draw games. GM Yuriy Kuzubov from Ukraine is the lucky dude and proclaimed as the winner after winning the three way blitz tie-break.
On the B group something bit different and more decisive games. IM Ben Finegold is finally GM Ben Finegold and FM Danny Rensch now is an IM after drawing with IM Ray Robson. By saying this IM Ray Robson must hold on a while to get promoted to GM because he would only got it if he defeated Danny. Completed result :
Spice Cup 2009 Group A :
1-3. Kuzubov, Yuriy g UKR 2635 5½
1-3. Andreikin, Dmitry g RUS 2648 5½
1-3. Mamedov, Rauf g AZE 2645 5½
4-6. Hammer, Jon Ludvig g NOR 2583 4½
4-6. So, Wesley g PHI 2646 4½
4-6. Akobian, Varuzhan g USA 2626 4½
Spice Cup 2009 Group B :
1-3. Perelshteyn, Eugene g USA 2534 6
1-3. Bhat, Vinay g USA 2473 6
1-3. Finegold, Benjamin m USA 2513 6
4. Robson, Ray m USA 2491 5½
5. Papp, Gabor m HUN 2558 5
6-8.Rensch, Daniel f USA 2392 4
6-8. Kuljasevic, Davorin m CRO 2547 4
6-8. Antal, Gergely m HUN 2479 4
9. Diamant, Andre g BRA 2520 2½
10. Ippolito, Dean m USA 2455 2
full covered at Susan Polgar's blog.
The second chess news is exactly from Phillipine, the 4th Gloria Macapagal Arroyo Cup is finished yesterday. Playing in dramatic weather condition the tournament won by GM Anton Fillipov and tie breakers are GM Ngoc Truong Son of Vietnam, GM Ehsan Ghaem Maghami of Iran and GM Narayan Gopal Geetha of India .
Probably his first major tournament this year, Singaporean GM Wong Meng Kong started with 4.5 / 5 and temporary stands the highest, after that he'd been slowed down and finished with 5.5/9. Indonesian IM Tirto was struggling in middle-lower board with 4.5/9 drawing GM Ghaem Ehsan Maghami and GM Dao Thien Hai.
4th Gloria Macapagal Arroyo Cup , top standing:
1. GM FILIPPOV Anton UZB 2595 6,5
2. GM NGUYEN Ngoc Truong Son VIE 2589 6,5
3. GM GHAEMMAGHAMI Ehsan IRI 2579 6,5
4. GM GAGUNASHVILI Merab GEO 2564 6,5
5. GM GEETHA Narayan Gopal IND 2598 6,5
6. GM MCHEDLISHVILI Mikhael GEO 2613 6,0
7. GM ANTONIO Rogelio Jr. PHI 2557 6,0
8. IM DIMAKILING Oliver PHI 2434 6,0
9. GM VILLAMAYOR Buenaventura PHI 2426 5,5
10. GM WONG Meng Kong SIN 2403 5,5
11. GM KOTANJIAN Tigran ARM 2553 5,5
12. GM GOMEZ John Paul PHI 2521 5,5
13. IM BITOON Richard PHI 2490 5,5
14. GM ISMAGAMBETOV Anuar KAZ 2528 5,5
15. GM DAS Neelotpal IND 2471 5,5
16. SENADOR Emmanuel PHI 2367 5,5
17. GM GONZALES Jayson PHI 2457 5,5
full article can be found at ChessHeroes.
Saingan terkuat di SE Asia, Wesley So mengakhiri kampanye nya di Spice Cup 2009 US kurang begitu menyenangkan dengan delapan remis dan satu kali kalah. Kumpulan partai dari sini bisa di baca di Chessdom. Analisis Permainan Wesley So setelah diterjemahkan ke bahasa Indonesia melalui Google :
Hammer - So, 1-0
So - Kuzubov, 1/2 - 1/2
So - Mamedov, 1/2 - 1/2
So - Hammer, 1/2 - 1/2